Why Choose Good Sam?
We believe that:
- Life is sacred and should be affirmed in so much as death is neither hastened nor postponed.
- Our patients are unique individuals who deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, guaranteed autonomy (informed consent), and offered quality care.
- Our patients’ families (which may include persons outside of the traditional family) deserve and will be provided support and information in order to be empowered to give care, to seek assistance, and to grieve.
- Our staff and volunteers are a dedicated team of uniquely gifted and trained individuals who will be supported and encouraged to seek professional and personal growth and excellence for the benefit of those we serve.
- Our ministry is caring, compassionate, and patient-centered, based upon the biblical imperative to love one’s neighbor, and will seek to achieve the highest standards of hospice care and resource management.
- Our hospice exists as a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization to serve the community in a non-discriminatory manner and meet its educational and service needs regarding the issues of death, dying and bereavement.
How to choose?
At anytime during a life-limiting illness, it is appropriate to discuss all of a patient's options, including hospice. Below is a list of suggested questions to ask when choosing a hospice.
- Is the agency a licensed hospice?
- Is the agency Medicare certified?
- Is the agency a not-for-profit organization that accepts memorial donations to provide hospice care and support services to patients who cannot afford care?
- Does the agency maintain professional memberships with the Virginia Association for Hospices and the National Hospice Organization?
- Is the hospice staff highly experienced in caring for patients with complex needs including patients with cancer, Alzheimer's, stroke, end-stage heart or kidney disease, multiple sclerosis, ALS, and AIDS?
- Does the agency provide extensive resources and services for individuals dealing with grief and loss?
- Does the agency offer additional services such as Complementary Therapies, Memory Catchers, Doula services, etc,
Please contact one of our offices if you would like additional information.